Thursday, August 20, 2009

Get to Know... Executive Chef Josh Hill



From slinging grilled cheese sandwiches on tour with the Grateful Dead, to his current position today, during a recent interview I discovered it’s been a long, strange trip for Josh Hill, Executive Chef at the W Hotel – Minneapolis.

We waxed nostalgic. He described his childhood as the typical latch-key kid. Born in Hilo, Hawaii, he was raised in a household that celebrated fresh fruits and vegetables, no canned food. His mother worked full time, “If I wanted something to eat (other than raw vegetables) when I got home from school, I would have to make it myself.”

As an elementary aged child he honed his newly found skill by following along with cooking shows on television. Always trying new combinations and experimenting with ingredients Josh made a discovery, “I thought I invented the concept of dipping my grilled cheese in tomato soup; I was convinced.”

As he got a little older, he embraced some of the local favorites and put his on twist on them. In Junior High School, he informed me that his signature dish was Hawaiian Poke. In Hawaiian, poke means "cut piece" or "small piece." Poke is bite-size pieces of raw fish doused in seasonings. Poke is actually the Hawaiian version of the elegant Japanese sashimi (a combining of the Hawaiian and Japanese taste for raw fish).

Chef Josh’s culinary career began at 13, as a dishwasher at a golf resort on the big island. His journey continued, including an opportunity to cook at the James Beard House in New York City. Several years later, friends and a relationship brought this self described “surf punk” to Minnesota.

He landed at the well respected Goodfellow’s working under Kevin Cullen and Jack Reibel. After a short time, Chef Josh enrolled in Culinary School at the Art Institute International, Minnesota. “I knew I wanted it to be my career and I wanted to have every tool available to me. Culinary School taught me how important it is to be organized. If you are not organized it is impossible to be successful. I know a lot of good cooks – but without organization, that is all they will ever be – just good cooks.”

When Chef Josh arrived in the Twin Cities, the restaurant scene was truly in its infancy. “There were only a couple of great restaurants [when I came to Minnesota], it has been amazing to be a part of this community and watch it mature”.

He has been instrumental in high profile openings, including Cosmos at Graves 601 (then Le Meridian), where he learned about balancing a restaurant and hotel relationship, and The Red Stag Supper Club, where he had the opportunity to work exclusively with local purveyors. His experience opening Cosmos and partnering with a hotel property is what lead him to join the Parasole team. “I started at [the W Hotel] the end of June 2008 and we opened in the beginning of August. There was a lot to learn in a short time. It was an incredible experience.”

It was just recently that Chef Josh accepted the promotion to Executive Chef at the W. “I didn’t have the time to feel overwhelmed, it is basically non-stop… This is what I have always wanted and it feels like home.”

Being from the Pacific Rim, Chef Josh draws from the culinary masters of that area for his inspiration. “Sam Choy and Michael Mina, it’s hard to even name names because there are so many incredible talents.” Comfort food to him is the California cuisine of the 80’s and 90’s. That was what he was raised on and what inspired him when he was young.

When asked about what keeps him here (especially when the snow flies), he says, “The people here are really great, and it has become my home. I do miss Hawaii and California sometimes still – especially in January.” Chef Josh makes a point to travel home to visit his family, some still in Hawaii and his mother who now resides in the Bay Area of California.

What keeps this chef going is the pace. “Everyday we offer something new – a new sushi roll in the Living Room or a special at Manny’s…” The day we spoke it was a Thai Basil Shrimp Sushi Roll with a Wakame Salad and Habenero Salsa… yum! Guest satisfaction is also a driving force.

Chef Josh’s journey has taken him down several paths, all leading him to where he is today. When asked what he would want for his last meal, Chef Josh did not hesitate, “Grilled fresh sardines caught off of the coast of Northern California, sprinkled with sea salt and a bit of fresh oregano. There is nothing better than that.” The constant theme seems to be that of a life-long culinary student. We are fortunate to have a talent like his in the Twin Cities and I can’t wait to see where he goes from here.

Photos by Chris Bohnhoff Photography

No comments: